Thursday, October 22, 2009

Kellie's workshop at Hettie's Patch

Having been away for the weekend has made this week pretty hectic with lots of things to do around the house and other sewing that needed to be competed, but I've finally found some spare minutes to post about my wonderful weekend with Kellie. It was lovely to meet her and to see her gorgeous quilts and pillows in real life. I thought they were stunning from her photos, but to see all the details up close was a real treat. I don't know if I'll ever get close to the perfectly stitched appliques that Kellie has mastered or even get my free motion quilting to resemble anything spiral-like at all, but I'm happy with the progress I made and am eager to keep practicing at it. Unfortunately I ended up with a terrible migraine on the Saturday and had to leave early, but thankfully I was able to shift it and felt 100% the next day, so got right to work on my dummy quilt getting the feel of free motion stitching and then was even able to get to stitching down all the applique for the practice piece and even started quilting it. I didn't get much of a chance to have a good mingle around with everyone and barely said more than a few words to both Emma and Andrea that were there too, so I hope I didn't seem rude, I was just so disappointed that I didn't get as much done on the Saturday that I really needed too, which meant for head down over my sewing machine as much as I good on the Sunday. Silly me didn't even think to take my camera with me, so I only have the two photos I snapped of my progress so far - but if you head on over to Hettie's Patch and Kellie's blogs, you'll see lots of lovely photos!

My dummy quilt sandwich to practice on

My practice piece which Kellie has called "Wish you were here!"

We each had a lovely bag and embroidered name tag made for us!

I really had a great time and would love the chance to do something similar again. A huge thank you to all the staff at Hettie's Patch for making it so enjoyable - all the little touches were just lovely and thanks again to Kellie for being a fantastic teacher! Now to set aside some time to finish up my practice piece and get tracing, cutting, fusing and stitching on the main project, "Willow".....

Natalie
xx

4 comments:

Emma said...

It was great to see you there, Natalie! I know what you mean about trying to get as much done as possible; I was, too.

Lily Mulholland said...

Oh no re the migraine! Glad it went though and you had some fun. love the bag and nametag too.

Kellie said...

Hi Natalie! I hope you are well and I am pleased that you enjoyed your weekend. It was lovely to meet you and I am pleased that you got so much done on the Sunday. I have also swiped your photo of your gift bag ... hope you don't mind ;)
Kelliex

Bianca Velder said...

Gorgeous work from you, Natalie. I love that little tree with the bird, I have a relationship with birds, they follow me everywhere I go. You are such a diverse talented woman, I am so pleased to see all those lovely creations.